Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The "Original Horror Story", Frankenstein, created by Mary Shelley is a captivating tale of inner struggle from various points of view. Shelley uses her romantic style to illustrate the novel in a way that the reader is pulled in and is forced to go through the controversy along with the characters. I know that I formed my own opinion's on Victor's actions as he went along with his experiments, and also debated whether or not the creation of a bride would be appropriate. That is all due to Mary Shelley roping me into caring about the character's fate, especially the creature's.

"Cursed, cursed creator! Why did I live? Why, in that instance, did I not extinguish the spark of existence which you had so wantonly bestowed upon me?" (Shelley 125)

It is quotes like this that make me want to be sympathetic towards the creature and his "feelings". Who are we to judge what has feeling? Compassion? Loneliness? Self-Esteem? Just because something does not live in the same manner we, as "human-beings", do doesn't mean that it, too, isn't living. Something that lives on this Earth, breathing the same air and drinking the same water as us, fully deserves the same rights any of us "human-beings" are given just by birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment